I was not realy surprised by Chapter nineteen at all. We all know that I-Man was into bigtime ganja trading. There is nothing new there. As for Bone, this is not really new for him. He has mentor type person in his life, and then after awhile, something happens and he must move on to a new mentor. He has had Russ, his father and I-Man, and who knows who is next. The fact that I-Man dies is no surprise to me at all. As I mentioned before, being heavy into ganja trading I-Man was not in a safe business. In any drug trade there is always guns and violence. They go hand in hand.
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is very apparent in Rule of the Bone. The theme is about how the real demise of man is brought about by man himself. The theme also brings about the fact that all the harshness and violence involved is the result of your own kind and yourself. For example, I-Man's brutal death was not only a murder for money, but was almost a symbolic killing because the wound was a single gunshot through his head. "There was a jagged hole in the center of his forehead and a whole lot of blood running down the bamboo wall behind his head into the sand," (340). The fact that a man could do such a thing to another man, adds to the depth of the theme. Chappie being a young kid has had his eyes opened by the whole event. He now sees that man is inherently evil and is the true downturn of mankind. "Actually when it came right down to it, like now, I didn't believe any of that shit," (340).
In my honest opinion, I think I-Man's death can be soley blamed on I-Man himself. He brought all this bad fortune upon himself. First of all, being in the drug trade, no matter the sort, always means getting into a life and career or inevtiable violence and drama. Secondly, as for the affair at the mothership, it was all I-man's fault. Chappie may have told his father about the whole ordeal, but if I-Man would have nothing fornicated with Evening Star, Chappie would have never had the need to tell his father anything. When the whole ordeal is boiled down to the source, it is seen that I-Man is the one who is the root of the source for all the bad happenings. I think that it is poetic justice for his actions. He took responsibility of his own actions in a way, whether it be planned or unplanned.

No comments:
Post a Comment