Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rule of the Bone

            After reading the first two chapters of Rule of the Bone, I am really shocked at who Chappie is. He is one of those juvenile rebels that does not care what society is like. He steals coins from his parents only to sell them for "skunk" (7) he can. After having a fantasy about Christmas, where he goes back to his house and enjoys time with his missed parents, a lot is revealed about Chappie. We can see that despite his rebellious exterior and the negative influences around him (the bikers), Chappie still has a heart for his mother and realizes the true love he has for family. My reaction to the book is that I can't believe the kind of man Chappie is. After his mother successfully tried to bail him out of being arrested, he pretty much stole twenty dollars from her never to see her again. I don't care what kind of situation I am in, I will never even consider stealing from my mother.




What is life like for a real-life runaway?
  • One out of every seven children will runaway before age eighteen.
  • 75% of runaways who stay away longer than two weeks will become involved in theft, drugs, or pornography
  • One out of every three runaways will be lured into prostitution within 48 hours of being away.

Works Cited
Why Teens Run Away
Banks, Russell. Rule of the Bone: a Novel. New York: HarperCollinsPublishers, 1996. Print.

-Andrew Dunavent

No comments:

Post a Comment